Wednesday, June 22

I'm a Junkie

I've been super lazy and tired on weekdays, and on weekends, I tend to just laze around or go shop. But today I had a sudden urge to blog. I have a confession: I've become a cosmetic junkie! I blame it on my internship. I'm currently working as a summer marketing intern at Mary Kay, a direct selling cosmetic company. Most people probably have never heard of them since they use the direct selling route, as opposed to the traditional retail route. Over the past few days, I've attended two skin care classes and done tons of browsing and research through magazines and competitors' websites. All this marketing has just made me want to buy buy buy. What amazes me is that a month ago, I couldn't care less about cosmetics! I have THE worst skin care/beauty routine. In fact, it's pretty much non-existent, only including buy-one-get-one-free Natio Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser, Muji Light Toning Water and Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturing Lotion. All the products I use are mostly purchases from my sister or mom, gifts from my Aunt or random discount buys from Sasa.


Me (left) & the other two interns. Taken with my shitty Nokia 2.0 MP camera, first skin care class using the Mary Kay Clay Mask!

What really opened my eyes (and wallet) to cosmetics was definitely attending skin care classes. Depending on the topic of these "classes", you learn the basics about skin and the full routine and steps you should follow, how to apply products and you get to actually use it on your face. More importantly, these classes are free and they really try to emphasize that they aren't going to pressure you into selling. While they may still try to subtly sell to you, its definitely less pushy than the sales you encounter in Hong Kong. The ones I attended were both for skin care routine, which includes five steps (Cleanse, Exfoliate/Mask, Toner, Moisturize, Protect/Sun Screen). We tried out their Botanical Customized Skin Care line and their Clay Mask. After really learning more about skin care, it really made me buy some Mary Kay products or run down to Lane Crawford or Sasa to buy masks and try out different brands like Origins, Nuxe, and Dermologica. Not to be biased because I'm working at Mary Kay now, but their skin care products are actually quite good! You can actually see the results of the Clay Mask whitening, tightening and lifting the skin! They also do a lot of research and consumer studies to support all their product claims.

Here are a few of the products I'm currently lusting over as I am (im)patiently waiting for my mom to come down to Hong Kong so I can make use of that Lane Crawford and Sasa discount of hers!







Top to Bottom, Left to Right:
Pretty much the whole Aveda Botanical Kinetics line, Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel
Aveda Intensive Hydrating Masque, Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask, Nuxe Masque Frais Hydratant
Mary Kay Botanical Customized Skin Care Mask, Kiehl's Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub, Aveda Deep Cleansing Herbal Clay Masque

On another note, over the weekend, I paid a visit to Langham Place to shop for some Monki and Kiehl's. Monki was having a 50-75% off sale, which was AWESOME. The sale section was around one third of their whole store, I think a lot of the stuff I wanted was still regular priced. I ended up buying a white holey sweater (HK$250 to $125), a pair of jeans (HK$250 to $125) and a pair of boots (HK$400 to $150), which altogether cost me HK$350! As for Kiehl's, I got my boyfriend some skin care products and got myself the Ultra Facial Cleanser. Here are two of the photos I took that day, more on my camera that I still haven't uploaded yet.

Got those boots on the right! Looking forward to the weather getting a bit colder soon! Though I do love summer.



Enough information overload for now, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment